Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'goinggreen_post_image_single' not found or invalid function name in /home/ewe4hf/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 496
Cranberry Pear Brown Betty
If you’re looking for a good recipe to use up some fresh (or frozen) cranberries, made with only the healthiest of ingredients, look no further. I found this recipe in The Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook. It’s a nice blend of whole grain bread, pears and cranberries, sweetened with stevia. I think it would make a great fresh cranberry dessert for Thanksgiving.
So here we are, a tasty recipe for using those healthy cranberries.
CRANBERRY PEAR BROWN BETTY
2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs*
2 tablespoons melted butter, or extra virgin olive oil
6 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice (best freshly squeezed)
1 cup fresh cranberries (frozen may also be used)
2 tablespoons stevia extract*
- Combine bread crumbs and butter in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine pears, lemon juice, cranberries and stevia in another bowl.
- In greased slow cooker stoneware, spread one-third of the bread crumb mixture on the bottom. Put half the cranberry and pear mixture over top.
- Repeat layers.
- Finish with a layer of crumbs, then pour cranberry juice over the top.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, until fruit is tender and the mixture is all hot and bubbly.
*Note: To make the dried bread crumbs, toast 4 slices of whole wheat bread, then tear the slices into pieces and put them through a food processor with a metal blade. Process until finely ground.
*Note: If you don’t have stevia, try 1/4 cup brown sugar or evaporated can juice sugar.